Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dude! This stuff STINKS!!!!!

So today is our first full day of cloth diapers! Unfortunately my bathroom stinks pretty bad right now. Here are some tips I found on Facebook for keeping the house smelling ok.

1. Leave in an open or vented container
Putting soiled diapers in an enclosed space makes them stink worse! Leaving them in an open wet bag, diaper pail, or bucket seems to help the smell. Also, someone suggested a mesh bag in a laundry hamper. (sounds like it would leak nasties on the floor but that's just me)

2. Rinse before setting them in a container
A quick rinse should help cut down on the nasty, old urine smell. If you have a fancy diaper sprayer you can rinse straight into the toilet without having to contaminate any of the sinks in your house.

3. Put the container of soiled diapers outside
Ok this would not be my first choice seeing as we live in a two story house and I am too lazy to walk it downstairs and outside. Another reason I probably wouldn't do this is I have neighbors. They probably don't want to smell it either. But hey, if it works for you, cool! More power to ya. (And honestly if I can't get my house smelling better soon the bucket might go outside)

4. Wash often
This might work better for you if you have a small stash. If you wash everyday then the smell is not that bad and you could just throw them straight into the washer after they get soiled.

5. Use a deodorizer 
Ok, this is what I did for our pail when I was using disposables. I have one of those Febreze Stick & Refresh things in the lid. This works pretty well at masking the smell. One girl on Facebook said to put some Sentsy pacs in the pail. There are also various natural kinds of deodorizers on cloth diapering websites that you can buy. And honestly I'm sure there is a tutorial on Pinterest somewhere on how to make your own. (When I find a good one I'll post it)

So those seem to be the only options. If you find one that I missed please leave a comment! I am learning as I go here :)




No comments:

Post a Comment